Friday, March 14, 2008

Note to Self



"...Person at the mall. “Enough snow for ya?”


Politically correct Person: “Yeah. We got a pile, eh?”


This is what's lurking around the corner:


Unsuspecting Victim: "Enough snow for ya?”


Fed up Person: (clears his throat)


“You know what? Let me ask you a question. Do you think it's the first time I've heard that question? Don't bother answering. It's not. And here's another question you don't have to answer. You probably thought I'd do what I did every other time, didn't you? Just launch into a meaningless 30-second conversation about the weather and you'd be on your way. Well you kind of misjudged that one, didn't you?


“You asked the question, now stand there and listen. Because I've got a few things to say.


“Enough snow, you ask?


“...My back is killing me and so are my ribs. My back aches for lifting snow over a six-foot snow bank and my ribs are sore from when my snow scoop caught an edge and I caught the handle across my chest...So yeah, I'd say I'm at my breaking point.


“But don't walk away, I'm not finished yet.


“Enough snow you ask?


“Well, when I bought my house I hadn't anticipated living behind a mountain. On the upside, I could be charging kids to toboggan down the hill. And they'd be repeat customers, because in a few weeks time, I'll be able to sell them tickets to swim in the lake that used to be my basement....


“...Snow day. If I hear that one more time, I'm going to have my own personal meltdown. Every time snow is forecast, the buses are canceled. ...When I was bussing to school, my bus driver was a psycho. He must have gotten paid per kid he delivered to school, because he never missed a day. Even if you were still in bed, he'd pull up out front, run into the house, grab you by the collar and drag you downstairs and onto the bus. He looked at it like this—the more kids he had on the bus, the more people to push the bus out of the ditch. I learned then to sleep in a snowsuit and winter boots on nights when it was snowing when I went to bed. So every time I hear 'show day' blaring from the radio in the morning, I cringe. So yeah, I'd say I've hit my limit.”

Taken from "Smiths Falls This Week", by Jason Mashall



After I read that, I had to do a quick mental review of the check-out line conversations I took part in the past week . Not everybody sees the snow as a novelty I guess!

1 comment:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Keep enjoying whatever God gives you. Life is so much happier that way.